This page contains links to sites that have resources and also those that sell tools or other supplies you might need.
- www.survivorlibrary.com From this website you can download public domain books and documents with a huge range of information- anything from medical diagnostics to bee keeping. Many are written in the 1800s or early 1900s. It's not all primitive, but there are some great resources available here.
- TopoView USGS On this site you can search for an area or location and get topographic downloadable maps. This is for the United States only.
- Foragersharvest.com This site is a great resource for foragers. We have their books listed in resources, but this has much more than that. They recommend other books, have classes and information on midwest/eastern foraging Gatherings, tools and much more.
- The Natural Web.com This site has information about nature that is useful for Caretakers. There are articles and resources that discuss plants and animals and their relationships. You can find information on what plants sustain insect and animal populations and much more.
- Scribd.com I found this site following a link for a free download of an article. To get the download you have to sign up for their first month free program. I did so and not only got that article but several others within a short time. You can also read books with their monthly subscription. I had planned to cancel immediately, but plan to keep it for more of the free month to find more great resources. I've link pages for primitive shelters, traps and forest gardening, and I'm sure there are many more.
- Ediblewildfood.com This is a nice little site with all kinds of information from what plants are edible to recipes. A great resource for foragers.
- Mother Earth News Mother Nature News has been around a long time. It's a great publication, but their website also has tremendous resources. There are a lot of "how to" articles, events, recipes and podcasts.
- Grow, Forage, Cook, Ferment: This site contains blogs on a wide range of plant based information including foraging, medicinals, soaps and other utilitarian items and preservation and cooking. Well written and quality information.
- Practical Self Reliance This is an outstanding site with articles on wild plants, off grid living and more. The author writes from personal experience and has in depth information on a wide range of topics.
- Instructables.com On this site, different people submit "how to" articles, many which include videos and photographs, on all kinds of skills. Just input a skill into the search and see what instructions are available.
Flintknapping Stone and Tools
- www.goknapping.com I've been pleased with the stone I've ordered from them. The best deal is the flatrate boxes. They also sell tools.
- Neolithics.com This is another great site for flintknapping stone. They harvest a lot of their stone. One thing I like about them is that the spalls actually come a little rougher- a bit of outer stone, etc. which helps learn more overall skills- one step closer to harvesting your own!
Leather, Hides and Tanning Tools
Tandyleather.com I don't buy leather here, but I do buy tools. A great site for glover's needles and artificial sinew.\
Braintan.com If you want to do some practicing with hides before you have a chance to make your own, braintan.com is a site for high quality, actual brain tanned hides. You can find cheaper hides, but these are exceptional quality, so depending on your need, this is a great site. They also sell good quality tanning tools like scrapers and fleshers.
- Annie's Heirloom Seeds This is a great site for heirloom seeds. They have all heirlooms, some organic heirloom, live plants like potato and onion starts as well as some wild/native plant seeds. They've always been quick and very helpful with questions.
- Seed Savers Exchange This site not only sells seeds but has information on how to save the seeds of various plants.
- Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds This site has a wide variety of seeds and also includes tips on growing and recipes.
- Southern Exposure Seed Exchange This site, although targeted for the SE United States, has a wide variety of vegetable, medicinal and "wild" plant seeds.
- Pine Tree Garden Seeds This site sells all types of seeds from vegetables to live plants. They sell regular seeds in addition to heirloom but they are clearly marked.
- Strictly Medicinal Seeds This site focuses on a huge selection of medicinal plant seeds, although it does have vegetables as well. The site provides very helpful information about growing zones, conditions and geographic origins.
- The Wandering Bull: This online store has all kinds of materials for "Native American crafts", including leather, beads, quills, needles, furs, feathers, smudge materials and more.